SHOCKING! When Amitabh Bachchan was NOT allowed to board the flight for 3 days after 9/11 attack!

Amitabh Bachchan
Amitabh Bachchan

Amitabh Bachchan, the superstar of Bollywood, was not allowed for three days to board the flight to the US from London after terrorists had targeted the twin towers in the New York City during 9/11 attacks. A crestfallen Amitabh had to be confined to his hotel room for three treacherous days and watch television shows on the dreaded attack as well as its analysis. Here is how Big B remembered those treacherous three days on the anniversary of 9/11 attack.

Amitabh Bachchan wrote: 

“9/11 was most tragic and sad and frightening… I was shooting for ‘Kaante’ in Los Angeles and had taken a couple of days off to travel to Egypt for the International Film Festival in Alexandria, where they were honouring me with a special award,” 

“Ceremony over, the next morning I took a flight out of Cairo, to Los Angeles via London… Arrived in London, Heathrow Airport, and after a short wait was announced to board my flight to Los Angeles via New York City,” 

“I did not have time to ask why, and I think it was quite obvious that something important and serious was happening … also immediately there was a sudden commotion in the entire airport … people were moving about rather rapidly in all directions, some with muffled screams and a large portion of them running to the large TV screen at the terminal,” 

“Motionless and in shock and stunned silence, people watched the second one go in too and it was a most inexplainable situation .. some had anger written all over them, some were in tears, others were frantically making calls … 

“I just stood there for a while stunned and then quietly walked across to my gate to board the flight … boarded, taxied off and then the plane turned back … the announcement … all flights to and from US blocked and stopped.” 

“Airline after much to and fro arranged for us to get to a hotel and there we stayed for the next three days until there was clearance to travel,” 

Those three days at the hotel were treacherous … did not move from the room and only watched TV giving news of the incident and talks and debates and details of what and why and where and how. A sad moment. 

“A few years later I on a visit to New York had driven past the site, where preparations were being done to rebuild the spot with a memorial,”